We need to be able to familiarize ourselves with the synergy between university research and knowledge, reinforce cooperation and interaction between basic and clinical medicine, and through extensive consultation, discussion, and dissemination, carry out benchmarking of critical technology, and set up the priority and feasibility of development. It is only after a consensus vision and a concrete goal are set that the overall strength can be realized to attain excellence.
China Medical University Hospital's (CMUH) research units (laboratories, research teams, and research centers) must strengthen their leadership and it is advisable to carry out extensive and open recruitment of talents at home and abroad. Research teams' leaders should be determined according to their expertise, competence, and research results, rather than their administrative positions or teaching posts as the sole basis.
The operation and management of the hospital's research and development system will abide by the following principles:
- Promote the integration and collaboration between basic medicine and clinical medicine research.
- Break through the current system, personnel and financial ossification, realize the people-centered management system, so as to carry out new operations and management by integrating the overall viewpoints of the research results.
- Deploy the researcher, postdoctoral researcher and technician system in a flexible manner—commit research manpower, offer a good research environment, assess performance, and reward competition to strengthen the vitality of research.
- Encourage researchers / physician scientists to study at overseas research institutes, and establish a channel for doctors to gain a doctorate from abroad, in a bid to ensure employment and sustained engagement in research after returning home.
- Keep up with global trends, implement a dual-track system, and allocate research time according to research achievements in an attempt to make full use of talents.
- The performance of a research unit or team should be evaluated specifically as a basis for the allocation of resources and manpower.
- Strengthen the integration and management of research instruments, set up core or common laboratories in an extensive manner, reinforce the support and service of research technology, boost research efficiency, and ensure the quality of research.
- Assist researchers to obtain patent procedures and establish a management system for the improvement of patent maintenance and technology transfer. The acquisition of patents should also be listed among research results.
- Set up a research and development fund to secure research funding through industry-academia cooperation or the appeal made by society for improving human health and quality of life.